Monday, January 3, 2011

What are you having for dinner?

I am what you might call an old-fashioned cook. I cook like Paula Dean. Like she says, "I'm your cook, not your doctor." Needless to say, this doesn't always fit well with a diet! So, I am now trying to cook things that I like and in a way that is healthier. Tracy likes to share recipes. Here's one of mine. It's very easy, very yummy and not that bad for you.

Cranberry Onion Chicken

3 chicken thigh/leg pieces
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 package dry onion soup mix

Remove all skin and visible fat from chicken. Separate leg and thigh. Arrange in a slow cooker. Sprinkle onion soup mix over it. Smother with cranberry sauce. Cook all day on low. Serve with sauce. Very good with rice.

I used the BodyMedia "create recipe" function and the numbers for this dish are pretty good (except for the sodium!).

Portion size is one leg and one thigh, or 1/3 of the recipe.

Calories - 411
Fat = 13 grams (29%)
Protein = 44 gram (43%)
Carbs = 27 grams (27%)
Sodium = 1,302 mg

I have made this same recipe with pork roast, too. It's very good. I tried it with beef once and didn't like it very much.

1 comment: