Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yesterday I took my last "off" day for the January Challenge. I did very well in regard to calorie cosumption, considering that I did no exercise at all. I listened to my doctor's advice and consumed 1,801 calories. She told me to keep it below 1,800. Not bad for a completely sedentary day.

We took a yound friend of Michael's with us to pick up the hogs. He's in his early 20's. His greatest desire is to move from the city and begin a subsistence-style life on a farm. He was raised in the city and never so much as grew a tomato plant in his front yard. He's latched onto Michael as his mentor. In an effort to move towards the lifestyle, he's asked to tag along when we do the hogs this weekend. He's a smart kid and assuming he could raise the resources, I think he might be able to pull it off to some degree.

What lessons can I take from this young man? It's my belief that people come into your life when you need them, even if they just "pass through" for a moment. Here are few things I can learn from Brandon 1) Don't be afraid to step out your comfort zone 2) Your "teachers" can be anyone 3) Lives can be changed 4) If something calls to you, walk over and take a look. It might be what your seeking.

I'm going to think about these lessons and try to let some of his young energy and fearless spirit infect me. Since he and his dog are spending the entire weekend with us, I'll be able to keep these lessons in the front of my mind.

From yesterday: Steps = 4535. Calorie deficit = 695. Calorie consumption - 1,801.

Have a good day!!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Thanks for sharing! Opportunity is something that most people miss in their life. They are presented constantly and we turn them away constantly. Sometimes for very good reasons and sometimes for not so good reasons. Have a good day today lady! And good luck with all of the animals.
    - Tracy

    ReplyDelete