Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday, May 2, 2011

Yesterday was a typical day for me -- good steps, reasonable activity level, poor sleep, and too much food.

Patterns, patterns, patterns ...

Today I have an interview for a different position. I'm excited about the possibility of a different job, but nervous about the interview. I feel prepared. My resume looks good, I think my cover letter is good, and my new suit is nice. I should do fine.

A new job might be just what I need. Something more in the public eye might help me in regard to my body image. Maybe if more people saw me on a daily basis, I would become more motivated to look better. I know that I "shouldn't" be motivated by what people think about how my body looks, but honestly, I am. It matters to me what people think.

In September 2010, I was really struggling with my body image. I hated the way I looked. I avoided going anywhere, and made up excuses to not go out. It got so bad that I started worrying about myself. We went camping in September, I spent one day crying and telling Michael about how I felt. He suggested that I go talk to a therapist. I did.

The therapist suggested that I allow some pictures of myself to be posted on facebook. He felt the first step was acknowledging my present self and to stop hiding. So, at my in-laws 50th wedding anniversay party, I had some pictures taken and used those. I weighed 260. In October, I bought the BodyMedia armband and started using it. Sometime after that, Tracy started this blog and I started posting.

I was still working at home and still barely left the house. Going out was big deal. I didn't have any clothes to wear, and I felt awful about the way I looked. I wore sweats and jammies most of the time. I started walking and cutting back. I started losing weight.

In February, I decided to give up working at home and went to the call center. It was a big change for me. I'd been at home for 1 1/2 years. Having to get dressed (even though the dress code at the center is basically no-existent) and presentable every day made a difference in the way I felt about myself. I felt a renewed desire to lose weight and improve my image.

I think that a new position may give me the same sort of boost. I would have to dress up for work. No jeans and sweatshirts, no t-shirts, no polos.

I feel like I've been in cave too long. The past couple years have been hard for me. I haven't felt good about myself. I have felt embarassed about my body.

Even if I don't get offered the job, I need to make more of an effort to present myself in ways that make me feel attractive. I also need to do things that I know will make my body more attractive AND more healthy. When I'm moving in the right direction, I feel better. Just trying makes a world of difference!


BodyMedia FIT data for May 1, 2011
Calories Burned - 2553 | Calories Consumed - 2152 | Total Activity - 0:38 | Moderate Activity - 0:38 | Vigorous Activity - 0:00 | Steps Taken - 10110 | Sleep Duration - 5:42 | Lying Down - 7:31 | Sleep Efficiency - 76%.

1 comment:

  1. Your honesty - it's one of your very finest qualities, and you have many of those. Keep working toward your goal. It's worth the struggle and it's possible for you. You really can do it.

    ReplyDelete